Pasta Con La Rucola (Pasta with Arugula and Tomatoes)
Recipe by Carol Field from In Nonna's Kitchen
- 4T olive oil
- 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 large (1LB) firm ripe plum tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (or 1 16OZ can Italian plum tomatoesm drained)
- 3/4tsp fine sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- about 2 cups arugula leaves
- 4 quarts of water
- 1T coarse salt
- 1LB short pasta, such as cavatelli, fusilli, or gnocchetti
- freshly grated pecorino (or parmigiano)
Heat the oil with the garlic in a large, heavy skillet over low heat until the garlic is limp but not brown, about 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes, fine sea salt, and pepper, and simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes to concentrate the sauce. If you are using canned tomatoes flatten them with the back of a spoon, and press them through a sieve before adding them to the pan.
Wash arugula well.
While sauce is cooking, bring a large pot with 4 quarts of water to boil, add coarse salt, and then the pasta and cook until it is tender but still al dente. Drain pasta, add it to the sauce, then toss in the arugula and mix it with the pasta and sauce for a minute or two so the arugula just wilts. Transfer to a warmed serving platter, toss again, and sprinkle abundant grated cheese over the top.