Aloo Baingan (Potato Eggplant)
This is a wonderful recipe for Aloo Baingan (Potato and Eggplant) Curry by Shilpi Amit, and approved by ourselves for taste and our dear, dear friends Archana and Mahesh, for flavor and authenticity.
- Eggplant (brinjal, baingan): 3 long,
- Potato: 2 medium size,
- Tomato:1 medium size,
- Cumin seeds (zeera): 1 tsp,
- Maithi seeds(fenugreek seeds): 1 tsp,
- Mustard seeds (rai): 1 tsp,
- Fennel (sauf): 1 tsp,
- Kalonji (Nigella) seeds: 1 tsp,
- Hing (Asafetida): a pinch,
- Coriander (dhania) powder: 2 tsp,
- Red Chilly powder: ⅔ tsp,
- Turmeric powder: ⅔ tsp,
- Garam masala: ½ tsp,
- Chopped coriander leaves: 1 tbsp,
- Slit green chilly: 2,
- Oil: 4 tbsp,
- Cut potatoes in small pieces and eggplant in large pieces so they get cooked at same time.
- Heat some oil at medium heat in a pan.
- Add oil, hing, mustard seeds, cumin seeds, maithi seeds, fennel seeds and kalonji stir everything.
- Now add coriander, red chilly and turmeric powder and add little water.
- Sauté everything till oil comes out.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and change the heat to medium low. Cover and cook till tomatoes become little soft.
- You can sprinkle little water if you feel tomatoes are sticking to the pan.
- Now change the heat again to medium high and put eggplant and potatoes in it.
- Add salt and mix everything well, cover at cook at medium heat.
- After 3-4 minutes saute vegetable again and reduce the heat to medium low.
- Now cook the vegetables till they become soft and saute every 3-4 minutes.
- If you feel vegetable are sticking to pan add little water to it.
- When eggplant and potato become soft add garam masala to it.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and slit green chillies.
- Aloo Baingan is ready to serve.Enjoy with paratha, poori or chapati.
1. Do not cut the vegetables ahead of time otherwise they get oxidized and turn black.
2. Eggplant holds lot of water in it so use very less water when needed.
3. Cut potatoes in small and eggplant (brinjal) in large pieces.
4. After taking out vegetables in bowl put some white rice in the pan it will absorb all the remaining spices.